Enjoy our compilation of historical old photos! If you have any old photos pertaining to the history of the church that you would like to share, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com. Thank you!
An old map showing Whitehouse and Mechanicsville along Highway 28 (long before Route 22 went in). The current church is located under the “A” in Mechanicsville. The cemetery, and site of the first church, is roughly under the last “E” in Mechanicsville, across from where Lamington Road meets Highway 28.
The first Methodist meeting house, built in 1845, was located where the Whitehouse UMC cemetery is currently located on Old Highway 28. Records indicate that after the new church was built in 1867, the old structure was moved and became a blacksmith shop. There is no record of what became of this building after that.
The church and parsonage, 1906. The church was built in 1867, the parsonage in 1896.
The parsonage, 1906.
The church and parsonage, 1906.
The church and parsonage, 1908.
Judging from the electrical lines, this picture was probably taken post-1921, the year electric lights were installed in the church.
Records (unsubstantiated) indicate that there used to be a general store next to the church, to the east, but it was torn down. The caption reads “P.O. & General Store of John Lane, White House N.J.”
The Rev. Martin Herr, pastor from 1867-1869, was pastor at WUMC when the new church was dedicated in 1867. He is buried in the church cemetery.
The Rev. Charles E. Walton (on left), pastor from 1901 – 1902, and Rev. William Johnston (on right), pastor from 1910 -1911.
The church, with inset of Rev. S.D. Decker. Around 1905.
The article reads: Whitehouse, Sept. 11 – Rev. Sylvanus Drummond Decker, pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church in this place, and Mrs. Decker were taken completely by surprise last night, when about fifty members of the congregation, who had assembled at different points in the town, visited the parsonage and tendered the couple a surprise party in celebration of their golden wedding. The guests spent several hours with Mr. and Mrs. Decker and their family. In the gathering were the three children, Mrs. Addie J., widow of E.E. Creveling of Philadelphia, and Rev. Dr. Everett Drummond Decker, pastor of the Ebenezer Methodist Episcopal Church in Philadelphia, who had been spending some time at the parsonage, and Dr. Frederick H. Decker, of Frenchtown, who drove over in his automobile, having been apprised of the event. During the course of the evening George H. Dailey, superintendent of the Sunday-school, presented Rev. Mr. Decker a purse of $102.50, which had been subscribed by members of the congregation.
Undated picture of the church, with an inset of Rev. William Trumbower, who was pastor from 1913 – 1916.
The Rev. William Fassitt, pastor from 1925 – 1930.
The Rev. Norman C. Yetman, and the Yetman family, Christmas 1954. Pastor Yetman remains the longest serving pastor at our church, 15 years (1939-1954).
This picture of a group of men and boys in front of the church is undated and there is no record of the nature of the gathering. Possibly it is a gathering of the “Epworth League,” an association of Methodist young adults, or perhaps a local athletic team. The picture was probably taken before 1939 , judging from the sign on the left side of the church which reads “Methodist Episcopal Church.” The sign on the right reveals a date of November 7.
A wedding in 1946.
1946 Wedding, outside the church.
Confirmation class of 1951. Notice the pipe organ, which was removed in 1971 and replaced with a modern electric organ.
Welcome reception for Rev. Ricketts, newspaper article dated June 10, 1954.
Article reads: Officers of the local Methodist Church greet their new pastor Rev. Raymond Ricketts at an informal reception last Thursday night. Pictured (left to right) are: Walter W. Hoover, Victor Gaul, Rev. Ricketts, Mrs. Ricketts, Mrs. Gaul, and Herman Mingst.
The Rev. Raymond Ricketts, pastor 1954 – 1957.
The Rev. Robert E. Grant, pastor 1957 – 1958.
Article reads: New Minister – The Rev. Robert E. Grant, who has succeeded the Rev. Raymond Ricketts as the pastor of the Whitehouse Methodist Church. The new minister will serve here for a year, then return to Yale Divinity School to complete his academic work for a baccalaureate degree. A graduate of Amherst, cum laude, the Rev. Mr. Grant has been studying at the New Haven Divinity School the past two years.
The Rev. Robert Grant (left), and Andy Bower, May 27, 1958, perhaps at the Reverend’s farewell.
Anniversary programs: 60th (1927), 75th (1942), and 100th (1967).
Picture of the church from a 1967 article commemorating the church’s 100th anniversary.
Newspaper article from 1967 on the 100th year anniversary of the church.
Photo caption reads: Welcomed Home at the centennial celebration were two former pastors at Whitehouse Methodist Church, the Rev. Arthur DeWire, at right, and the Rev. Robert Grant, at left. The church pastor, the Rev. William W. Poynter, is at center.
Architect’s drawing of the proposed Christian Education building addition, 1968.
1968 groundbreaking for the new Christian Education Building.
Photo caption reads: Ground is broken by Building Committee Chairman Dr. Allan F. Burns for a new education building at Whitehouse United Methodist Church. Construction began last week on the $125,000 structure, the first building of its kind in the area. Participants in the ceremony are, from left , Charles Robinson; Board of Trustees President Kenneth Van Fleet; United Methodist District Superintendent, the Rev. George Watt, Jr.; Readington Township Mayor Vincent Cook; Whitehouse United Methodist Pastor, the Rev. William Wallace Poynter and William Poynter, 3rd.
The church sanctuary as it appeared Christmas, early 1970’s.
Church renovation work and painting, 1973.
Church renovation work and painting, 1973.
Cover of the 1896 bible entrusted to the church in 1983, originally belonging to the family of Mrs. Letitia Van Syckel.
Rev. Lee Van Rensburg, Honoring 50 year members Beatrice Mingst and Adele Calio, 1986
Rev. Shawn Callendar Hogan, honoring 75 year member Evelyn Reger, 2003